Sunday, September 26, 2010

a land of potential

I apologize for the long time since my last post. I've been experiencing some pretty amazing things and also facing some tough mental transformations. I've decided that I can't post my inner thoughts on the internet because they are mine and I'm still working them out and when you come to a country as wonderful, strange, and conflicting as Armenia, you need to think about what you've seen before you speak.

Regardless, I'd like to list some of the highlights of the past few weeks.

I went to Artsakh, known as the republic of Nagorno-Karabagh, which is an Armenian country sort of seeparate sort of connected to Armenia. Its an absolutely breath taking place and going there really challenged a lot of the ideas that I have about war, peace, patriotism, happiness, etc. If you get the chance, you should google the Armenian-Azeri war over the region and just learn a little about what is going on. We visited a memorial museum, a wonderful rehabilitation clinic, ganzasar church, hiked to a waterfall and much more.

On the way out to Artsakh we stopped at Tatev where there is an ancient monastery. In order to get to the monastery you have to drive about an hour down into a gorge and then back up on the other side. It was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and no one should leave Armenia without seeing it. There are some beautiful photos on my facebook page from Tatev.

Yesterday I went to the first ever TEDx Yerevan event. It was really exciting and incredibly organized. Some of the talks were great and overall I think it was a great step for Armenia. I hope after this event future speakers will really embrace the "ideas worth spreading concept" and begin to dream big for Armenia. A great success i would say though.

I've been spending a lot of time at a great place called Calumet which is owned by two Beirutsi Armenians. Its a really laid back place and they always play good music. One night, I had an Irish-Armenian music jam with one of the owners, who agrees with me that there is a strong emotional, musical and possibly genetic connection between the Irish and the Armenians (he lived in Ireland for 6 months and had a plethora of beautiful Armenian and irish folk instruments). The next night I attended Sonya Varoujian's show there-- she's a great spyurkahay Armenian from New York who plays folk music. She has a beautiful voice and some great songs in both Armenian and English. Afterwards, I went up on stage and ended up jamming and playing (originals and every cover I could come up with) for about 3 hours. It was wonderful and really made me feel comfortable and connected to this wonderful place.

A great sensation I've been having here in Armenia is that it is like a child's play house. It is miniature sized and therefore you feel like you can really feel its contours and make a difference. Everything here feels accomplishable and yet impossible. I can sit for hours in a cafe and talk with both diasporans and locals about all the great things that need to be done in Armenia. Sometimes its just a fantasy and sometimes everything seems so achievable. Its nice to be in a place where everything has not been tried. There is so much room for potential.

I'm going to leave it there for now and with one thought that really affected me and I hope affects anyone out there who would ever think of coming to Armenia-- I met a jazz musician from New york at a club the other night. He has no familial ties to Armenia, is not Armenian, and kinda of came here on a whim a few years back... and ended up staying for 2.5 years. He said there is just something special and inspiring about Armenia and its true. Despite the difficulty, frustration and "stuckness" that can sometimes overwhelm you here (and I think has, understandably,  taken a toll on some of its long-time residents) there is also an overwhelming aura of creativity and potential that permeates the air here. I hope I can maintain this energy and pay it forward in my time here.

All the best,

Simajan

Photo at Tatev by Gohar

No comments:

Post a Comment